Pelvic Pain & Dysfunction
Physical therapy helps pelvic problems in men & women.
Metro Physical Therapy has a comprehensive Women's Health and Pelvic Pain Center. Sherrie Glasser, Co-Director and Owner of Metro Physical Therapy has been practicing in pelvic floor PT for over 30 years.
We take an extensive comprehensive approach to evaluating pelvic floor dysfunction including a full history, orthopedic, neurological, myofascial, soft tissue, trigger point and a full pelvic floor examination. This ensures the diligence and high quality of care we provide to our patients.
Urinary Incontinence: Urinary incontinence can be characterized by urine loss with exertion or with a sense of urgency. UI affects 30-60% of middle aged and older women as well as 15-30% of younger women. In the past, the only solution was surgery or medication, so it's not a surprise that many women suffered in silence. Today we have state-of-the-art treatment plans including biofeedback and exercise techniques to help women experiencing this condition.
Pelvic Floor Muscle Training: Physical training to assist the patient in focusing on and isolating muscles in the pelvic floor to develop strength. Your therapist will coach you to perform contractions that build control and endurance.
Breast Cancer Rehab: Treatments for Breast Cancer can cause many debilitating issues that physical therapy can address. A thorough evaluation is necessary to determine the extent of the issues that may or may not include lymphadema, frozen shoulders, reduced upper body strength and function, scar tissue, and postural deficits. Your therapist can identify these issues and develop an individualized program to regain your function. At Metro PT, we have a state-of-the-art lymphadema program which involved manual lymph drainage, aquatic therapy and therapeutic exercise.
Pregnancy Low Back Pain: The added weight of pregnancy affects your center of gravity and hormonal fluctuations can affect ligaments, resulting in low back pain. Sacroiliac dysfunctions are very common during pregnancy. There are many ways to treat back issues relating to pregnancy such as manual therapy and muscle energy techniques, gentle core strengthening and educating the patient.
Pelvic Pain: Painful intercourse and pelvic pain can be treated restoring muscle, joint, and nerve function as well as teach a patient to relax a pelvic floor muscle that may be too tight. Even when there is a known medical problem such as endometriosis; physical therapy can help alleviate pain and discomfort associated with the bones, muscles, and ligaments. Massage, stretching, joint mobilization, and internal/ external trigger point releases can restore muscle, joint, and nerve function.
Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is without symptoms; a condition that is characterized by a decrease in bone mass that can weaken bones, increasing risk of fracture. In many cases, you may not know that you have it until you fracture a bone in your body. According to the National Osteoporosis Foundation, 50% of people with fractures will not regain their quality of life. Your therapist can help you with prevention and strategies to reduce risk of injury through exercise and posture/body mechanics training. At Metro PT, we have a Pilates rehabilitation program geared towards Osteoporosis regression as well as prevention.
What to expect on your first visit?
- Warm greetings when you walk in
- Clean private treatment rooms
- Your modesty is our priority during all treatments
- Thorough evaluation with a Pelvic Floor Therapist
- Explanation of your diagnosis
- We pride ourselves on individualized care during all treatments
Areas Of Expertise:
- Women's and Men's Pelvic Health
- Pelvic manipulation, SIJ Dysfunction
- Pelvic Floor Muscle Dysfunction
- Overactive Bladder Syndrome
- Painful Bladder Syndrome/Interstitial Cystitis
- Urinary and Fecal Incontinence
- Premature Ejaculation, Erectile Dysfunction
- Vaginismus, Vulvodynia
- Pudendal Neuralgia
- Dysmenorrhea (Painful Menstruation)
- Pregnancy and Post Partum Care**
Advanced Skills providing superior care:
- Advanced Manual Techniques
- Advanced Myofasical Release
- Advanced Muscle Energy Techniques
- Advanced Visceral Mobilization (Bladder, Abdominal)
- Integrative Manual Techniques
- Nerve Gliding, Skin Rolling
- Therapeutic Abdominal Massage
- Lumbar & Sacral Stabilization
- Positional Releases
- Advanced Breathing Disorders and Treatment
- Craniosacral Therapy and TMJ Disorders
- Biofeedback and sEMG
- Electrical Stimulation
- Scar Releases – Post Surgical/C-section/Scope Procedure
Call the METRO Physical & Aquatic Therapy center nearest you today to set up an appointment. We welcome and appreciate your referrals.
[ Back to Services ]